Thursday, September 10, 2015

yvonne's birthday

I had the intention to write this post on Yvonne's 3 month birthday but...

I wanted to document one of the greatest moments in my life.  When I became a mother.  Yvonne's estimated due date was May 30.  I had an uneventful relatively easy pregnancy.  I was able to do some form of exercise through out it (usually just walking during the last trimester).  I was able to keep working full-time with out any problems there either.  I was really blessed during my pregnancy.  Through my pregnancy I practiced meditation and read a lot about natural birth.  I was hoping for a natural birth, which did not happen, but I am really happy with how everything went.

At 36 weeks I went in to the doctor starting my weekly checkups and I was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  Woohoo! I was for sure I was going to be going into labor early. 37 weeks I was measuring the same.  38 weeks I was measuring 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. So close.  I thought for sure I would go into labor any day.

I finished my job at Trinity by then but I wanted to stay active.  Matt and I were in the process of moving to Springville to live with his parents for a couple months until we moved to Alabama.  I spent a lot of my time packing, cleaning, and walking.  I hiked the "Y" a few times.  Once with my sister-in-law Linda who had never done it before!  39 weeks and still measuring the same.  I continued walking and even did some running.

40 weeks pregnant.  Oh my goodness! I wanted the baby to come so badly.  That week I tried it all! I busted every single myth someone would suggest to me.  I tried curb walking, spicy food, jumping, running, eggplant Parmesan (strange I know-but there is a website full of testimonials), red raspberry leaf tea, squats, hiking, relaxation, swiping membranes, pretty much I tried it all...except castor oil.

It was Friday night June 5th and my sister Kim came to town and I was really hoping I would go into labor while she was in town (sadly didn't happen) and I was really hoping I would go into labor before I had to be induced (gladly did happen).  The following day was Saturday and I would officially be 41 weeks pregnant and I told myself that if I was still pregnant in the morning I would run the Art City 5k.  I woke up the next morning and I was still pregnant....

Matt PRed at this race and I made a new record for myself of the slowest time ever but I did it! I saw my doctor at the finish line and he said "if this doesn't put you into labor I don't know what will!"

This race did not put me into labor... just extreme soreness for the rest of the day.  Later that night we went to the Payson Temple celebration and the next day we went to the dedication.  I'm glad I got to go to those things!

Sunday night the 7th after dinner at my parents house and after my sister and her husband left back home I kind of felt like something was going to happen.  Or it may be the same feeling I had felt the past 2 weeks.  Matt and I were heading back home and I suggested we walk the Bonneville Shoreline trail in Springville.  While we were walking I felt a small gush of liquid come in between my legs.  And then a little more, and a little more.  "Matt I think my water is breaking."  So we turned around and headed back to the car.  Luckily I had a towel to sit on in the car! 

We waited back at the house to see if contractions would start.  They started and we timed them.  I did my nails and ate Outshine Popsicles (so yummy!).  When contractions were about 3 minutes apart we decided to head to the hospital.  My water broke about 6:30 pm and we were admitted to the hospital about 9:30 pm.  

When we arrived at the hospital I could tell one of the nurses didn't believe me (or she has had too many false "I swear I am in labor!" arrivals.  She asked me: "How far apart are contractions?" "Are you sure your water broke?" "Is this your first baby?" "When is your due date?" "Have you tried to be admitted before for labor?"  

With a quick check they assured me I was in labor (I knew that...that is why I actually came to the hospital...).  My actual labor and delivery nurse was awesome!!!  I started out doing ok with the whole "natural labor" thing.  The nurse did some great counter pressure on my back and knees.  Matt and her were super encouraging.  There were some positions I wanted to rest in but the monitors were telling me that it was affecting the baby's heartbeat ("oh, baby doesn't like THAT position!"), so I would have to change positions:(  As labor progressed I told Matt that I wanted the epidural.  Matt and the nurse were willing to keep helping me if I wanted to continue the natural route but when they checked me and I was dilated to a 6+/7 I told them No Way!!  My doctor had arrived about 10 pm and was just hanging out for whenever I was ready to push (he was really great!).  

So I got the epidural about 11 pm.  And I would totally do it again.  No regrets.  Seriously if it is there-why not.  And Yvonne is still a chill sweet baby even though I got an epidural!  At midnight I was fully dilated.  My doctor (when the lady has an epidural) likes the patient to rest and let the baby descend a little while before pushing starts.  Matt called up my mom and sister-in-law Linda to come on down to the hospital because "Heather is going to push soon."  That's all he said-I found out they were in a panic getting to the hospital because they thought they were going to miss it! 

Mom, Linda and ...Dad (!?) came into the delivery room.  I was so surprised to see my dad! But he assured me that he would be waiting in the waiting room.  At 1 am I started pushing.  My doctor warned me that I could be pushing 30 min-2+ hours because this is my first baby.  I did not believe him.  I thought "I'm in pretty good shape I think it will go a lot faster."  Nope! It took me a full hour to push that babe out. Pushing is a lot of hard work but in between contractions there was a lot of talking and joking going on. 

2:03 am baby was born! 6lbs 13oz and 19in.  She started crying immediately.  Finally we met our sweet baby.  I was able to hold her for an hour on my chest before they took her down for her bath.  Mom and Linda held her too.  Dad was excited through the whole thing even though he was in the waiting room.  Matt was so happy to meet her and he changed her first diaper.  It wasn't until later that morning that we decided on her name.  Yvonne Liffy (spin off of Lifferth-my maiden name).  

1 comment:

  1. That stinker punked me good! But I could never stay mad at her:)

    ReplyDelete